What to Expect During the Sixth Year of your Baby’s Life
By Gopi K.Patel MSE.d Special Educator
Six Year Olds are a lot of fun as they begin to really mature. They are truly a more grown-up. They are beginning to be your little buddies. However, everything is done a bit more independently as they begin to branch out. Another reason I love this age is because 6 Year Olds ask tons of questions and want to know everything. Their likes/dislikes are definite.
The typical Six Year Old begins to understand time intervals, the seasons of the year and their functions. They can write their name and phone number, and many one-syllable words. Six Year Olds can write left to write, and sequence numbers 1-20. Children at this age can do basic addition as well. They are easily able to sequence events 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. They are easily able to play games with rules. Sometimes they begin obsessive play (only like things with cars). A 6 Year Old can build elaborately with blocks. Be careful...at this age they give threats and can insult others. It's never easy!
Some of Gopi's Favorites:
- Alpha Bead Set — A great way for 5 year olds to use their imagination and create something all their own.
- Monkey Math — Sometimes learning is not easy and your 5 year old needs a little help. Monkey Math taps into math skills, counting, adding – and it’s fun.
- Geosafari Talking Microscope — A super fun way to explore what’s around you and too small to really appreciate. All things big and small!
- Amazing Animal Trivia — This develops quick thinking skills, recall and social skills. It’s lots of games in one.
- My Super Knot Quilt — Hours of fun...and a beautiful piece of art is created. What a great way to develop a sense of accomplishment and build self-esteem.