Head into the lab for an in-depth investigation of genetics and DNA.
- See genetic material with your own eyes as you isolate the DNA from a tomato in a test tube. Investigate inheritance and learn how traits are passed down from parents to children.
- Learn about dominant and recessive genes and play inheritance games to determines how traits will be expressed.
- Learn about the biology of reproduction, the components of cells, and how chromosomes are combined and copied.
- Assemble a model to see the elegant double-stranded helical structure of DNA.
- Then crack the genetic code and find out how the different parts, called nucleotides, fit together to compose it.
- Read about how scientists use DNA sequencing to reveal the order of nucleotides in DNA. Analyze DNA evidence to identify suspects and solve a crime.
- Learn about the influential scientists, including Mendel, Watson, and Crick, who made breakthrough contributions to this field. Breed your own bacteria colony to experiment with genetic engineering.
- Read about how mutation affects genes and how scientists clone plants and animals.
Why Our Experts Love It
They've always wondered why they look more like Mommy than Daddy, or vice versa.
Now they will begin to understand the science behind it, DNA! And your child will have endless strands of fun learning it! Soon they'll be talking about genes that aren't denim and clones not clowns.
They will read about the list of people who made important breakthroughs in the field and how their name could be next!