Child Development Milestones for 7 Year Olds - Language
The following are the child development milestones for a 7 Year Old focusing on Language development. Our Child-Experts use these milestones for a 7 Year Old as a guideline for selecting all our educational toys, books and games. We have created the Head-to-Toe system - consisting of the seven developmental skills that every toy, book and game will help develop. From Imagination at the top of their heads to the locomotion skills at the tips of their toes. And every point in between.
Below are the Language skills to a 7 Year Old child, the associated Language developmental milestones and links to the age-appropriate educational toys.
Please keep in mind that all children develop at different speeds. If your child is not able to do all of these functions, do not be alarmed. These developmental milestones are a guideline. If you believe that your child is behind in learning and developing these skills please consult your pediatrician.
- Uses a vocabulary of several thousand words
- Begins to grasp that letters represent the sounds that form words
- May develop stuttering when under stress
- Most children learn to read and write, although some don't until after age 7
- Pronounce words correctly. For example, most children do not substitute the sound fr for thr in words like through.
- Are becoming better readers, but sounding out vowels often can still be difficult
- Still have some difficulty with basic spelling